Aluminum trailers(2nd try)

To: "LSR List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aluminum trailers(2nd try)
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:13:07 +0000
Our Lux-Lite trailer is 7'W x 16'L(with a 4' additional V in the front) x
6.5'H, it is all aluminum including the outer sheathing(the top is seamless
one piece aluminum), the wall studs are aluminum, the front man door and rear
pull down ramp door frames are aluminum and the entire main frame is aluminum
(made of three 5"x2" boxed frame rails and at least sixteen 3"x2" individual
cross braces)... the only steel(other then fasteners), are the two torsion
bar axles(3500lb rating each), 4 wheel electric brakes and a very small
triangle section for the tongue to mount to the aluminum A-frame at the
front.
It's extremly light(dont' know off the top of my head) and we only tote
motorcycles, but it being aluminum made it easier for us to not have to be so
picky weight wise(aka cost wise) when it came to all the extras(insulation,
interior sheathing, electrical, workbench, tool chest and rollaway, parts
cabinets, overhead gear cabinets, flooring, camping gear cabinets, desk for
Deb to do her ECTA thing on and a tuning bench for the computer and printer
etc, 16' pullout awning, large generator, pit bike, pit trailer, and up to 4
bikes). All the extras can add weight quick and I was all about not having
the weight to start with when we saw this trailer. We tow it with an F-150
and have even taken it to Maxton at least a couple times with an early 90's
6cyl Ford Explorer with over 300,000 miles on it(the pencil holder and
ashtrays left on the counter tops arrive where they are 6+hours later
everytime). For the right bet I'd do a distance tow with it behind my panhead
(hell, I could use the extra brakes - lol). At anyrate.. I don't know
anything about towing cars(which like Neil said, a car may cause a fatigue
problem with a frame like this?),, but I know I like an all aluminum trailer
for what I use it for. I thought hard about it at first because I though I'd
want to weld to it eventually, but it's not any tougher to bolt a piece in
and weld off it.... so I guess my only complaint is magnets don't stick to it.

Todd