Re: What Welding Helmet to Buy? (non LSR)

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What Welding Helmet to Buy? (non LSR)
From: Jim Waldron <jwaldron47@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:10:24 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Snip.....
>From: Richard Kensicki <lowtek@ptd.net>
>Subject: What  Welding Helmet to Buy? (non LSR)?
>Are the real low cost helmets mostly junk?
>RichK

I bought a $40 model with the intent of trying it out.  No adjustments.  I
found that the lenz was not quite dark enough for me, I could not make out
details in the puddle.   For $2 local welding supply sold me a 'darkening
lenz', basicly a pice of colored plastic), 1 level, that I just inserted into
the lenz stack.  Much better.  They also have magnifying lenses - bought one
but haven't tried it out yet.

Big thing I heard was that if you used an auto dark helmet all day long that
your eyes would itch at the end of the day, so I approached long duration
welding sessions with care.  So far no issues at all for a welding session of 5
hours pretty much continuous.

One caution, if you are working on a hard to get to spot in the cage, you know
- all contorted, reaching through the bars, and peeking through a hole - when
you strike the arc if the cells on the top edge of the lenz are shadowed from
the arc - no auto darkening takes place.  It doesn't usually take me very long
to kill the arc in these situations.

I also found the extra darkening lenz helps when I break the arc , the lenz
goes clear, and I am looking at the still incandescent weld puddle.  However,
it hinders when looking into dark corners.

Thanks,
Jim.