Re: QC question

To: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Subject: Re: QC question
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:30:48 -0500
Doug Odom wrote:

> My friend has an aluminum spool quick change. He says the bearings
> will slide off and on the spool shaft. He says the shaft is 2.019" My
> experience with quick changes has been with steel spools only. The
> steel ones use a .002-.003 interference fit. Does anyone know what the
> fit should be for the aluminum spool? He is 50 miles away from big
> ditch so I have not seen it for myself.
> Doug Odom in big ditch where it's 72 degrees.
>

> Doug,

All the Winters & Frankland rears with alum. spool measure 2.031 dia. at
the journal. They use a .003/.005 interferance. I freeze the spool over
night and place the bearing on a 100 watt lightbulb for 20 minutes to
assembly. Aluminum will really move if you try to press the bearing on.

Hope this helps.

joe