Re: helmet rule

To: "land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: helmet rule
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:36:05 -0800
Dick,

http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#7

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

 SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for
motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences
between them:

1. SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
2. SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets
may not be street legal);
3. SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.

The K standards are very similar to the SA standards, however the K
standards omit the requirements for flame retardency.

> I want to be sure I fully understand the helmet rule before I buy a new
helmet, which I'm ready to do this week.  As I read the rule, I can wear
either an SA-05 or M-05 rated helmet to drive a car.  Is that right?  Or
must an SA- be worn for cars and M- for bikes?

>   And, an -05 helmet will be good until 2015, whereas an -00 helmet will
be good only until 2010.  Saving $50 bucks for an -00 clearance will cost
the purchase of an another new helmet in five years - - correct?