Re: Movie Review

To: DavidAdin@mercydurango.org, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Movie Review
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:20:25 EST
In a message dated 2/3/2006 12:09:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
DavidAdin@mercydurango.org writes:

List;  this morning I read a review by Roger Ebert of "The Worlds Fastest
Indian"  He describes "Bonneville, where millionaire drivers are
sponsored by
big  corporations".
Well.
I know this describes my effort exactly. Today I  must listen to
proposals from
three Fortune 500 companies, who want to  get onboard. Hardly leaves time
work on the car.       RF

So I took the liberty of replying to Mr. Eberts feedback  with the
following. I hope it meets with the approval with the majority of all you
listards.....Bob, word nerd,W

Dear Roger,
In your review of this new movie starring Sir Anthony Hopkins you  state "In
Bonneville, where millionaire drivers are sponsored by big  corporations, no
one has ever seen anyone like Burt or anything like his ancient  machine."
In actuality ,the speed trials at Bonneville have been held for over a half
century and the majority of participants are just regular guys and gals,
scraping up enough time and money to afford the annual pilgrimage to this Mecca

of Speed. There are individuals wealthy enough to mount large-scale attempts
with very sophisticated machinery, and occasional backing of cars by publicity
seeking corporations that is generally frowned upon by the mostly grass-roots
 enthusiasts that attend year after year. The vast majority of the racers
are seasoned hotrodders, many older retired types, chasing a dream, very
similar  to Bert  Munro.They are mostly from the west coast, but  with a
healthy
entourage traveling in from all over the U.S. and even  overseas.
This is the way most of the Land Speed Racing community likes it,
undiscovered, unpublicized,  and historically ignored in sports coverage,
except in the
years when the outright LSR speed record is attempted or  set.
Sincerely,Bob Wanner, LSR Guy, Southern California Timing Association car
Residing in Yorktown , NY