The Rules Changes...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Rules Changes...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:08:12 -0800
Ok, so I got energized to look at the rule changes as posted on the
SCTA-BNI web site. Most are really straight forward and most are not
applicable to my entry. But are couple are somewhat nebulous to me. And
one is just peculiar.

1) Page 33, 3Q, Fire Systems
Change 4th paragraph to read:
"NOTE: Agent delivery lines are subject to dust and moisture clogging.
Participants are responsible to assure that the fire system is full and
operable before each event. Frequent cleaning of the lines is recommended."

Ok, I get the first sentence as there are all kinds of situations that
can plug the system. But regarding the second sentence, aren't the
safety inspectors to look at the fire bottle pressure gage and
inspection sticker? Kinda odd because the old wording worke for me. As
to the last sentence, if I show up and say I am happy then my word will
be taken that everything is good to go regards lines? Is objective proof
required (like the fire bottle sticker)?

2) Page 37, 4.B, Air Intakes
Rewrite Sentence 2 & 3 to read:
"Air intakes shall not originate below the original stock location and,
on rear engine cars the air intake must originate in the rear 50% of the
body. Protruding air intakes, other than O.E.M. must not exceed 48
square inches of frontal area."

Ok, is this for combustion air or cooling air? If it is for charge air I
suspect there are many who cannnot comply. For instance in a motor swap
boosted application, the turbos are likely to get their air from some
form of ducting which does not meet this rule. What about cars using
tall velocity stacks on individual FI throttle plates? That certainly is
not the stock location. And there are lots of aftermarket cold air
systems which get charge air from non stock locations, how does the rule
affect those? If this is for cooling air only then I can sorta see how
this works.

3) Page 35, 3.R Cooling Systems
Add sentence:
"The use of plastic tubing in a cooling system is not allowed.
(INTENDED TO PROHIBIT PVC TUBING)"

Ok, so why not just say, PVC tubing and pipe is not allowed in any
cooling system?  What about the overflow from the radiator cap? Is
"plactic" tube ok there? The point I am trying tomake, is if you want to
eliminate PVC, say that specifically or there will be interpretations of
what is ok and what is not and they will be different for every builder
and inspector.

All in all, pretty nice package and looks like some work by the rules
folks to help us out. Nice Job guys..

mayf, out in Pahrump...