Re: LSR Scandal

To: "Pile,Chris" <zoombot@cox.net>
Subject: Re: LSR Scandal
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:10:49 -0500
On Tuesday, February 14, 2006, at 03:58  PM, Pile,Chris wrote:

> (as do a great many folks) that the only racers at Bonneville are
> going for
> the outright fastest speed ever ala Arfons and Breedlove classic
> battles on
> the salt.
>     So Land Speed Racing is destined to remain mostly misunderstood
> except by
> the cognoscenti. Oh, well.
>
>     Chris Pile aka aircap

Well,I get asked by the unwashed fairly often  "What is the land speed
record?"  So I explain that there are about 3,000 or so land speed
records -- do you mean the records in the class my bike runs, or do you
mean the fastest...   At which point I usually get interrupted by
something like  "Didn't one guy go over 500 (or 600...or 700)?

When I try to give a halfway accurate answer is when they lose
interest, look at their watch, and head off to refill their coffee cup.

You're right, Chris -- we are destined to remain misunderstood.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)