Re: Internal sleeves in butt joints

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: Internal sleeves in butt joints
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 02:55:43 EST
I heard of a racer that had to install internal sleeves in two lower frame
tubes after the car was built. The butt joints were straight and were actually
behind the rear axle and only supported the rear section of the body. He
looked  at my car and indicated I needed to sleeve the butt joints.

There is no rule in the SCTA or ECTA books regarding internal sleeves in
butt joints. I checked with Keith Turk and the ECTA does NOT require internal
sleeves. The SCTA rules don't require internal sleeves. The engineering
handbook
 doesn't require internal sleeves. I guess that means internal sleeves are
not  required under the SCTA rules, written or otherwise. Is this correct?

Otto