blower ratios and Turbo Lag

To: b.a.savage@wildblue.net
Subject: blower ratios and Turbo Lag
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:10:20 EDT
Hi Bryan

Back in '63 I bought a new Corvair Spyder, Americas first turbo  charged
production car.

It had turbo lag that lasted for days. Bill Thomas developed a kit
comprising a roll of Asbestos ( yes Asbestos! )  insulating tape, some  heavy
tin foil
and some carb jets.

The 2" wide asbestos insulation tape was soaked in water to make it really
pliable, then wrapped around the exhaust pipe from heads to the turbo. The same
 technique is used today except with the Kevlar wrap.

The tin foil was wrapped around the asbestos and finally I wrapped good old
bailing wire around the foil to hold everything together. I got carried away
and  insulated the turbo housing exhaust side too.

I changed the jets out and took it for a test drive. I couldn't believe the
increase in overall boost, from 7# to 13# and the turbo lag was  reduced to a
fraction of a second. It was like night and day.

I regularly blew away V8's with it and wondered why every car didn't have a
turbo. Guess other people thought the same thing.

Otto