Re: head gaskets for supercharged engines

To: land-speed@autox.team.net (land-speed list),
Subject: Re: head gaskets for supercharged engines
From: rickbyrnes@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:13:41 +0000
Scott
The type of gasket you use for a boosted engine kind of depends on what level
of Boost and flow your blower produces.  (actually what peak cylinder pressures
you create.)
FelPro has a wire ring gasket that produces great results for most applications
with appropriate clamp load (higher).  This usually means studs and nuts. (ARP
for me).
The most common failure of head gaskets on a boosted engine is detonation.  Use
real racing fuel blended for a boosted application and calibrate on the
conservative side for spark and fuel unless you have lots of opportunity to
test and develop calibration on dyno.
Cometic has MLS gaskets but their normal design is NOT up to snuff with OEM
designs.  The design intent is not robust.
They do have a gasket that uses high pressure gas filled "O" rings for
combustion sealing, but for applications that have good and uniform clamp load
they are not really necessary.  With that said, on one of my turbo motors where
we will run at more than 3 atsmopheres of boost pressure, use of captured "O"
rings is called for.
I'm not brave enough to abandon what I have developed to work, but I'm pretty
confident that the wire ring Fel Pro will work pretty well for you.  Mike uses
it and his customers don't come back with complaints.
Good luck with your boosted motor.....

Rick Byrnes