Answers from the UK (?)

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Answers from the UK (?)
From: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:43:38 -0400
Glen & Mayf & list

I hope to be in the USA later this year for what will be a holiday with
Jane.  Now it just so happens that we need to be in Las Vegas, Nevada for
some of our next visit, for R&R ............... and the timing may work for
a Bonneville event! (but not Speed week).  I will let you all know when the
flights are booked.  I owe a few folks in Pahrump a meal - just hope I can
find the right establishment when I am accompanied and that the desert city
can be on the route we are taking.  As the East Coast folk already know I
can travel without my fire suit, and I look forward to sharing views face
to face (perhaps this autumn) on the west side.

I do not see any sign Mayf that Sunbeam will be resurrected as a Company
(they went into Peugeot Talbot long ago), but having said that Austin
Healey as a name is to be relaunched with family blessing this year.  Once
you attain your goal there will come the imitators and rivals.

In the main the so called european 'corporate speed attempts' (with some
money to defray expenses, but not always as much as it appears) focus on a
single speed goal ............. which is most likely to be the outright or
wheeldriven fastest.  I am sure that a bid could be mounted in a SCTA
class, but this is not so probable to my thinking as the vehicles are built
to US flavoured rules.  Individual racers may travel with an SCTA record in
mind, but not 'corporate' teams who would find it difficult to promote off
the running of a Roadster or Competition Coupe or Lakester.

The Primetime team - who eventually kept all three cars, including e=motion
- will be operating here in the UK during 2006.  There are a number of
records to go for this summer.  Whilst the team principals have not
embraced the use of push vehicles, the new ruling this month  from the FIA
Records Commission will mean that when re-preparing for any future
International record the electric car could take on the American set
targets, whilst breaking the official FIA speeds.  Just can't see the
Steward accepting the use of the jet car behind the streamliner!

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England