South Africa

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: South Africa
From: "MPittwood@compuserve.com" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 15:38:15 -0400
Franscois

Welcome to the list - its good to have representation from South Africa.
Keith Turk its founder will no doubt give you the official welcome too.

My point was that US racers are not too bothered about record attempts in
locations other than in their own Country.  Infact after organising
attempts in Britain, on Bonneville in private time,in Tunisia and on a
highway in Nevada this time last year (and almost a bid with Ray Wakefield
in SA on Veneuk Pan) I keep getting asked "when will I get a team to an
SCTA event on Bonneville?" - and if you read the list archive and postings
on landracing.com you will see that I get abused for some of my track
'selections'!

On this occassion the JCB team, with which I have no connection, has chosen
Bonneville salt in 2006.  Indeed other former Thrust SSC members with on
the British steam car project appear to be looking just at Bonneville too
now (they had spoken of SA).

I feel that SA has a lot to offer, if the exchange rate to the GB pound is
favourable, for its tracks and weather conditions ......... hillbillies or
not.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England