Re: Tires and Texas Mile

To: smsandimas@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Tires and Texas Mile
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 23:49:50 EDT
Hi Steve

I ran the Texas mile with my Bonneville LSR tires and smoked them to  196.103
mph runs. Other LSR guys were running them too but they don't hook up  with
much power. I'm running  810HP in a C/GL. Fronts are fine with  LSR tires,
unless you run front brakes which is highly unlikely, verging on  unbelievable.
More on that later.

In addition to the Street Drag tires Keith recommended, the Talladega  and
Daytona Nascar tires work well for the rear. Also, they come in "your  size".
15"x10"x28".  _http://musclemotorsports.com/drivetrain-tires-nascar-tires.html_
(http://musclemotorsports.com/drivetrain-tires-nascar-tires.html)

If you run Texas, be damn sure you have good brakes!!! If you only run rear
brakes like I did, don't count on them! The shutdown is only a 1/2 mile and at
 200 it goes by in seconds. I'd suggest a set of "short track only" disc
brakes  for the front to be safe. The fastest Turbo Vette's turning 180+ had
their
 brake foot through the floor to stop in time with their 4 wheel, 15"
Brembos.

Don't run high speed Bonneville Ribbon chutes. Run big drag chutes and hit
them before the "lights", especially if you run a 75' lanyard. I'd hit them at
the 1/2 mile to be sure... Kidding! The "light's" is a 4x4 piece of plywood
that  becomes incredibly "small" at 200.

Check out _http://landracing.com/news/ankelbiter.htm_
(http://landracing.com/news/ankelbiter.htm)
for the maiden voyage in my Lakester at Texas. It was highly  criticized by
the LSR community. I thought it was an accomplishment, they just  called me
names... Welcome to the SCTA.

Good luck. The folks at Texas are great people and you will be met with  warm
"southern hospitality".

Otto