Shifter handle with Taper... hmmm

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shifter handle with Taper... hmmm
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 06:26:24 -0500
Alrighty then... time to tell on myself... so there I was hanging out in the
shop with a perfect 7" straight shifter handle... but I really needed one that
was 6.5" from the top of the shifter attaching point...  ( use your
imagination here... Need is a word defined by the user )

So I spend the last couple of days sorting out how to turn a 1" steel bar into
a shifter handle... exactly to my desires.... The fact that I could have cut
.5" off the old handle and had a really nice chromed shifter was totally
immaterial...  I would have more working parts...( the shifter ball on the old
one screwed on and was to big to fit Tonya's hand )( once again drag that ole
imagination back out here )  The old one also had a backing plate and the new
one is going to be tapped and threaded in the unit itself...

So you see I lost two junk bits... the shifter ball which is now made to fit
Tonya's hand perfectly and the backing plate... ( designing it to fit her
hasn't hurt my relationship by the way)

I really don't want to hear about how I could have better spent my time... or
bought it... or shoot heaven forbid actually just cut that .5" off and moved
on....  I've had a great time learning to use the new lathe... milling the
sides of the bar stock down and so on...

Life is about enjoying yourself and learning...  So that's my story and I'm
going to stick to it until next time... ( at which point I reserve the right
to enrich the story as necessary to add flavor, content or pure dang lies )

Keith ( morning Dan... anyone pee'ing in your wheaties this morning? )