Re: Aluminum Soldering

To: <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Soldering
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:30:32 -0700
Dip brazing is how they assemble aluminum radiators.  I've had some
experience in my working life with this process for making parts for
semiconductor equipment here in the SF Bay area.  If you can find a shop
that isn't too busy and work with them that's the way to go.  Preassembly of
the job is labor intensive and easy to get wrong unless the parts are self
jigging so they go together only one way.  Steel clamps and fixtures can go
in the molten salt pot; but get some info first from the pros on how to
build them yourself.  What gets into entrapped cavities and can't be rinsed
out can become real ugly over time.  So it would be tough for example to
design a  good 2 piece cylinder head, for example, to be dip brazed
together.  Ditto aluminum tanks with lots of small fittings.  Not
impossible; but for your one-off race car job you could easily overstay your
welcome in a busy shop.  By the way, for the ambitious explorers, a molten
salt pot is not a good do it yourself project if you are visualizing that
epic dual overhead cam head for a flathead.
Ed Weldon