Re: Nascar & the COST OF RACING Back in the Golden Years

To: <Want1937hd@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Nascar & the COST OF RACING Back in the Golden Years
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:34:57 -0700
Bob--
What a PITA that car owner must have been to work for!!
What was a Model T in those days?  Maybe $275.  A plain vanilla new car today
is about $15K.  That's about 50:1.
Harry Miller sold his rear drive cars for $5K back then according to one
reference I read.  Times 50 is $250K, about what a probuilt competitive race
car to an existing design would cost today.  And I don't think $5K is too far
off the mark for a 4-5 person race team and a 3-4 day outing what with race
expenses, gas, meals, lodging.  So things haven't really changed that much.
And the Depression was still 5 years away.............Like today?  I hope
Ed Weldon