Re: Fw: Oil stuff

To: Ed Weldon <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Oil stuff
From: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:34:33 -0700
Ed, This just happened last week. Put our E motor on the dyno. Its 258
inch sb chevy. 2.7 stroke 3.905 bore. Have run it for the last 9 years.
Turns 9k and the bottom end looks like new every time. Now I have always
used Vanderwall bearing and Mobil 1 oil. I can not get Vandy bearings
for the small journal crank anymore. So I used Clevitte 77 and Del-lo
15w40 oil because my friend runs that in his sprint car. After one long
day on the dyno  the filter had bearing material in it. Now this is the
same crank, block, rods and clearances that I have always used. Took it
off the dyno. Cleaned up everything and put it back together with Calico
coated  ACL bearings and Mobil1 oil. Another long day on the dyno and
everything looks great. So why should I screw around trying to find out
why the motor was unhappy with the Clevittes and Del-lo oil. I think
most racers are like that. I really don't care why something doesn't
work if I have something that does work.
Doug Odom in big ditch trying to fit an alternator on this motor. Damn
EFI fuel pumps takes too much  electricity.