Speedweek

To: "Landspeed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedweek
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:14:16 -0700
List,

I am a bit late in telling my story, but here is a overview of my week.

I made my first pass about 4 PM Saturday. The course was slushy in the first
two miles so I didn't get all the way into it until the 2 mile. I posted a
200 mph 1/4, 210 mph 1st mile, a 228 mph middle mile and then lost a piston.
I didn't plan on working on the car so I didn't bring any spare pistons.
Since we had a full week ahead of us, Jeff & I flew back to Redding Sunday
and picked up parts. That is why I missed the Salt Talks. I really had
planned to be there.

Wednesday, we made a couple of 3-mile runs to trying to figure out why we
had such low fuel pressure. Thursday Mary West made a couple of licensing
runs and Barry made the only full 5 mile pass of the meet with a 225 mph
last mile. It was still supper lean, EGTs in the mid 1300s and a water temp
of 260 F at the end of the run. This is on Alky. Friday morning we chose a
.004 richer jet and made another pass losing the second piston at the 1.5
mile.

When I started disassembling the car, I found why we had the problem on
Friday. I run a select-a-jet box. The selection was between two jets and
both were flowing fuel. Super lean...one of the locating pawls were stuck
and the valve wasn't properly positioned. The jet box is repaired and the
pump and nozzles are on their way to Kinsler for flow testing. Hopefully we
will get this figured out before the WOS. Regardless of the problems, we had
a great week. I am just sorry that I didn't get around to seeing many of
you.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC