Re: Fast LAne PArt 1

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fast LAne PArt 1
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 11:31:19 -0700
I promised myself (and probably others) that I would not butt in, but
here I go any way. We Pahrumpians at our breakfast meetings on MOnday
mornings and now recently in a new and possibly more imporant venue, our
"beer thirty conference" held on Thursdays at one of the shops, have
kicked some of this around. Skip gathered data which pretty clearly
showed that the process that is in place right now, for starting, timing
and clearing the course, is  pretty well understood and is actually
working pretty well. Yes, there are idiots like me, who probably don't
do things quite the way I should. So if the process is not broken wha is
the central issue here? Is it that we all want to run four or 5 times a
day? Or at least 2? Well, some folk did do that in any case. So what is
the central issue? Well, for me, it was the (*&%$^& day long wait in the
prestaging line. More than 6 hours waiting in line is the central issue
for me. I would much rather be in the pit chatting with folk or working
on the car.  Or doing something other than just standing around having
to move the truck a foot at a time or not being there and really getting
the people behind me aggravated. So maybe that is an issue that could be
tackled with hardly any cost at all. Here is my suggestion: do like the
do at the DMV in LAs Vegas...take a number! When you are ready to run,
go up and get a ticket at the prestage line or wherever. HAng onto that
ticket for dear life because the numbers are sequestial. Now have the
prestage duty officer get on the CB and tell glen to roust up the cars
holding numbers between numbers X and Y  and have them report to
prestaging.  Everyone will be sure to have at least one working CB radio
and a side benefit wil be hopefully no more speople sitting on the
mike.  This would eliminate the biggest factor of the meet for
me...waiting and moving waiting and moving...  And once the crush of
race vehicles is over, then revert b ack to the current way, get in line
wait a bit then run..

mayf way off and far out in pahrump