Re: Engine assembly goo : Rough-It-Up with Down-the-Hatch !

To: albaugh_neil@ti.com, Jimwprice@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine assembly goo : Rough-It-Up with Down-the-Hatch !
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:47:09 EDT
Hey Neil ...... I first saw that 'mild abrasive into the intake trick' done
waaaay back when I was a teenaged parts cleaner & 'go-fer' for some older
friends running a roundy-round car at the local  oval tracks.   The car was a
Ford flathead V8 coupe, and some 'Boraxo' powdered hand soap was  actually
spoon
fed into the single Stromberg carb flathead as it was at an high  idle.  This
was in the early fifties, and the car was in the 'jalopy'  division, so no
multiple carburetion was allowed, as it was in the modified  class.  We did it
on
the advice of an older, experienced mechanic who  ran his own garage in town,
and it seemed to work pretty well as the car had no  oil burning problems,
and was a strong runner as long as our 'hero-driver'  finished the race without
some roof, or side, on-the-asphalt time...... which  was sometimes the case !
 I, myself never tried that Boraxo trick on  any of my flatheads or small
block Chevies. It was great for really dirty hands,  though, just like my old
favorite Lava soap .......

 Bruce, digging back into the early Fifties for that  recollection    ~