Re: Ford C6 (Not LSR yet)

To: tclouser@purdue.edu
Subject: Re: Ford C6 (Not LSR yet)
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:47:40 EST
In a message dated 11/11/2006 11:26:18 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
tclouser@purdue.edu writes:

Hey, I  was wondering if anyone knew much about rebuilding C6 transmissions
and
how difficult it might be. Anyone know a good deal about  it?

Tyler

Hi Tyler

Most Hot Rodders avoid Auto trannys because they have heard horror stories
about how they have hundreds of parts that come flying out of it when you
dismantle it.  Of course this is true but in actuality, auto trannys are a
piece
of cake! You don't even need any special tools you can't make.

You will need a lip seal "persuader". Take an .008 feeler gauge out of the
stack and glue it in the end of a 1/2" wood dowel you cut a 1" deep slot in the
 end. Soften the sharp edges of the feeler gauge with sand paper. Use it
when installing the rubber lip seals on the pistons back in the drums. Tranny
lube helps it slip in.

You can use a drill press, NOT TURNED ON, to compress the drum springs so
you can remove the snap rings. Make a horseshoe shaped "spring pusher". You'll
know what I mean when the see the springs and snap rings.

When you dismantle it, keep the sub assemblies like drums separate from one
another. Some of the pistons and thrust washers are similar but not the same.
Place everything in stacks to help on reassembly.

Get a rebuild manual from the same place you buy the rebuild kit and it  will
lead you through the process. Ask for an "LS rebuild kit". It will make you
sound smart! LOL. Always replace the pump bushing which usually doesn't come
in  the kit. It may, check.

Just work carefully and DON'T have any left over parts that may seem
insignificant!!!

Good luck, have fun and E-mail me if you have any questions.

Otto