GPS

To: "'dan warner'" <dwarner230@yahoo.com>
Subject: GPS
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 12:46:40 -0800
I am not promoting any technology and I was only responding to Jon's comment
that the slow updating of GPS may not be suitable for LSR. My observation is
that aviation units probably do not suffer that malady. The new databases
even have airport runway intersections and taxi-way turn offs and can be
helpful if used properly.

I agree Dan; any technology can be misused, misunderstood, or misapplied. It
is important to understand whether it is "human factors" or flawed
technology if there are problems.

Since the course is surveyed, it would be trivial to establish precise
latitude/longitude for way-points. I do not support anything that encourages
a driver developing tunnel vision or anything other than looking down-course
at speed.  But for low-speed turn-out, I could see where the GPS might be
useful.  -Elon