Smooth cylinders

To: Askotto@aol.com
Subject: Smooth cylinders
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:59:35 -0800
Otto,

The Plateau Honing that I have seen, has left a shiny, not mirror smooth,
surface that
looks like it should reduce friction. With rings designed for the application,
there is no
"break in" required by the rings which is why some manufacturers can put Mobil1
in
as a factory fill. I have no idea what the surface finish is of the pistons is.

  Bryan

FYI:
Mobil 1 is factory fill in:

     * Acura RDX
     * Aston Martin
     * Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
     * Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V
     * Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
     * Chevrolet SSR
     * Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
     * Chrysler 300C SRT-8 and Crossfire SRT-6
     * Cobalt SS
     * Dodge Ram SRT-10
     * Dodge Charger SRT-8, Magnum, and Viper
     * Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
     * Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
     * Mercedes SLR
     * Mitsubishi EVO III