Non-LSR diesel question

To: Land-Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>, Sparky
Subject: Non-LSR diesel question
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:21:24 -0500
Sparky, I think this is for you, but I'll post this to the entire
list in case one of you has the answer.

I was the (unfortunate) recipient of a 200 gallon, $500 delivery of
oil for my furnace day-before yesterday.  I say unfortunate because
last spring I decided to change from the old oil-fired boiler, which
uses #2 heating oil, to a new electric boiler.  The new one will be
installed early this coming week.

So I called the fuel oil folks last spring and said "Don't deliver
any more to my house", and they didn't -- 'til Thursday.  Now I've
got all that fuel down there in the tank in the basement.  The tank's
been almost empty for the past few weeks, and I've been adding 5-10
gallons of "off-road" #2 diesel (the red-dyed stuff) to keep us
warm.  It's been working fine.  And don't ask how I know this, but I
know the off-road stuff works fine in a diesel pickup engine (I know
it's a federal offense to burn off-road fuel in a road vehicle).

So just for the intellectual exercise, would the #2 oil that's in my
basement run in a pickup (oh, say, an '04 Duramax) without causing harm?

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)