Re: land-speed-digest V1 #2399

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: land-speed-digest V1 #2399
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:06:38 -0800
Mayf--I share your concerns about the technical feasibility of TC on the
Salt.  Progress is not without some risk.  In this situation I think it's
manageable.  The real control valve here is not the rule book; it's the tech
inspection and the ongoing race management with a well established protocol
that allows the officials to say no to anything they don't like at anytime.
I have a lot of confidence in this process to make real progress on testing
the feasibility of TC to see if it can improve safety while at the same time
keeping the development process as safe as reasonably practical.  You can't
do this with a rule book.  It's gonna take some feet on the ground decision
making and risk taking.  It's something we can and should work on.  A simple
rule book entry is a necessary start.  I do think any car that shows up at
tech with any kind of traction control that is visible should be ready to
talk about what is expected to do and be willing to accept some limitations
if in the judgement of the officials it's necessary.
Ed Weldon