Vibration dampened gauges using muffler pipe and silicone

To: LSRLurkers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Vibration dampened gauges using muffler pipe and silicone
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:46:08 EST
In a message dated 1/18/2007 2:12:49 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
saltlust@yahoo.com writes:

Otto: I saw all the new pics you posted to the album about the  shifter.
Thanks for taking the time to share them. Due to hassels of posting  pics,
album
add-ons may be the easiest for everybody. Great idea using silicon  to dampen
the guages.
I noticed your much improved  self-portrait after corrective  surgery! As
soon as your teeth grow back you could win a blue ribbon at any  dog show .
>>Saltlick

Hi Lick

I blundered on the silicone dampened idea for the gauges when I was trying
to mount them where I can see them. I lay down in the lakester and with a full
face helmet on it was impossible to see the gauges anywhere but near me on
the  roll cage. I was thinking typical flat panels but they don't go good with
round  tubing and would be sharp edges in the cockpit. I thought of muffler
pipe rings  welded to the cage would work nice. They point at an angle right
toward my big  mug. I chose 2 1/2" pipe with 2 5/8" face gauges. The body of
the
gauge is smaller than the 2 5/8" face. I suspended the gauge in the pipe with
three blobs of silicone. The gauge floats in the muffler pipe ring and is
isolated from the vibration of the frame. The pipe encloses the  entire sides
of
the gauge with only the face showing. Nice and clean, works  great for the
application and it's easy to do. The beauty of the separate rings  is they are
very compact and you can tuck them anywhere there's room.

I threw in some pics for the listers who get pics. You might consider
switching from Digest so you can get them straight away. It's easier for you in
 the
long run.

Thanks for putting up the JCB Diesel liner pics on the group site album.
What an engineering masterpiece huh?

Otto

gauge mounts from side.JPG]

gauge oil water temp.JPG]