The JCB information

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The JCB information
From: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 13:39:09 -0400
Flowbench, well spotted that all the figures refer to FIA speeds (I do make
sure you all know the base that the information comes from).

The Director of the JCB Dieselmax acknowledged the efforts of the Burkland
family and the 417 mph SCTA record that I pointed out to him already
existed.  (The Burklands have helped the JCB effort with Bonneville
knowledge by the way) ........ But his words were ....... "I will not get
drawn into the SCTA/BNI and FIA records subject".  So the Al Teague speed
(FIA at 409 mph) is their target speed to beat even though of course a
diesel could not take that record away from Al (or from Bob).  Its just
bragging rights which the USA racers will never agree with - as you have
stated Wes.

The JCB telemetry told them they used 1300hp to go 365 mph on the
FIA/International course.  With 1500 hp total and full acceleration
distance, they expect to see a sixth gear run at well above 400 mph (but no
where near 458 mph).  Will they get to 410 mph Mayf?

Yes Jon the MT tyres are available now to allow cars to go faster than any
(SCTA or FIA) existing record, but the JCB Dieselmax is a vehicle
constructed around a 23 inch overall diameter tyre at each corner.  They
validated the Goodyear Eagle LSR 'frontrunners' on a test rig in the USA
and they were happy to see Andy Green safely reach 365 mph (but not more).
I suspect they do not wish to change that vehicles cross sectional area
Hence the non committed response to me about who they are talking to about
making tyres for the higher speeds.  The maker would need to be a rival to
Goodyear, if it is not this maker!

Now, if JCB were to build an outright wheeldriven contender to challenge
the Don Vesco record it would probably run the MT tyres but would also need
another engine or two from Ricardo/JCB.  Andy Green might have to work very
hard getting all four to run at the correct temperature and power output.
It has been suggested in reports on the first effort that former outright
LSR holder Richard Noble did suggest building a car around MT rubber, but
the design team did not go along with that thought.  [My educated guess is
that Richard Noble wanted to be involved as a consultant with a project
"that would be the fastest wheeldriven car ever, period", not just a very
fast diesel record holder].

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.