Re: Tools, and a Question

To: Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Tools, and a Question
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 00:35:58 -0700
BJ,

First remember 98% of an automatics heat comes from the converter _when
it is torque converting_.
If you are starting to run hot, manually down shift. As you increase the
RPM, the converter turns
into a high efficiency fluid coupling. When the converter clutch locks
up, it's 100% efficient and
almost no heat is generated.

Otto's temp numbers are good. The temp should be above 32F before you
get the RPM above
about 1,000. If you can keep it at or below 180, the fluid will last
almost forever. When it is
overheated it changes color and starts to smell burned, unless it's
synthetic. You can fry the
soft parts in an auto without bothering synthetic ATF. It will start to
smell, after the xmission
is gone. Synthetic ATF is happy at 300 but as Otto said, the soft parts
will turn to glass.

I hope this helps,
Bryan

Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net wrote:
I just installed a tranny temp guage in my LT1/4L60E powered Chevy wagon
tow vehicle. The fluid passes thru the radiator and then a stock
supplimental cooler. It's pretty cool here now and the guage is reading
180, like the engine coolant. My question is at what temperature should
I be concerned, and what is the high, but acceptable, range?