Re Calibrated valve body or Shift Kit...

To: RACE427@aol.com
Subject: Re Calibrated valve body or Shift Kit...
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 01:38:14 EDT
In a message dated 5/19/2007 3:15:40 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
RACE427@aol.com writes:

Some  people I meet do not
believe in "shift kits" but would rather go with  a  re-calibrated valve
body.

Hi Tony

Bryan is right. "Shift Kit" is the old term for a "recalibrated valve body"
and is exactically the sam tang.

The term "re calibrated valve body" came along about the same time other
politically correct terms like "Automotive technician" came along. We're no
longer simply mechanics, we're Technicians!

Early on we modified the trans for strong, firm shifts for drag racing,
hence the term "shift kit". They shifted very hard and got the reputation of
"race only" applications. We found out these mods for hard shifts could be
tempered to make the trans last longer without slamming your neck with every
shift.

The mods typically include drilling out oil feed holes in the valve body
separator plate so more oil flows to engage the clutch packs quicker. We also
pull the "wave springs" in the clutch packs that cushion the clutch  engagement
with flat steels. Oil line pressure bypass springs are replaced  with stronger
ones to increase shift pressures. Often the individual gear  shift control
springs are exchanged to reprogram each gear shift RPM.  There are other mods
the trans for heavy duty/racing use but that's  about all the valve body
reprogram is all about. Any body can do it. They have  complete instructions
with
pictures and diagrams with arrows and everything! I  use Trans-Go also.

Otto