Re: [Land-speed] Fire Bottle Question

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Fire Bottle Question
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:58:19 -0500
Mayf,
        Halon extinguisher manufacturers will not be able to re cert or refill
after Dec 2007. Halon does not go bad but the valving and pressure
rupture discs are suspect after several years. Some organizations, NHRA
for one, have mandated annual and semi annual inspection of the systems.
We should send our bottles back to the manufacturer every five years.
        By the way, Halon is still the best extinguisher product ever!!! Oh
course, you can't breath it or you pass out due to lack of oxygen.

The replacement gas agent, FE36 is not near as good. The other
replacement agent, foam does a good job but needs to have a bladder
separating it from the propellant to get all of the foam on the fire,
nitrogen molecules are smaller than foam/water so they come out faster,
leaving 1/3 of the agent in the bottle.
        The manufacturer I currently sell for will have a dual gas & foam unit
out in the fall. I have witnessed the testing, the foam cools the FE36
and the FE36 excites the foam into a better product.

I have gotten one hell of an education selling systems for many years.
Attending the SFI conferences at PRI every year has also really helped.

My two cents,
joe