Re: [Land-speed] Most prolific record setting car

To: <Askotto@aol.com>, <David.Freiburger@primedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Most prolific record setting car
From: "J.D. Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:02:38 -0700
I believe all of you see what you want to see. Dave came prepaired, had a
plan, and did what he hoped would happened. He, or they, as the case may be,
did not sell "hats" into the 2 club. The car set records that are
attainanable by anyone wishing to do it. My reason for this is a "C" blown
pickup, right I said pickup truck, went 248+ now that's a number to shoot at
in a brick...Dave's engine is a AA.

Why your all complaining why don't you aim at Irene Hanchard. She set 3
records all at less than 100 mph. I can guarentee that her smile was as big
as Dave's. How about 8 Scott Guthrie entrie's with records? Paul Friebus
with 4 on one M/C? I'm the luckiest one of the bunch by working impounds. I
get to see all of this.

A friend of mine comes with a AA/GMR with a  record of 255. He runs over
220. AA/FMR is open and he won't run on it for a "cheap" record. We all make
choices. One of HR mag car records was a 95mph when he got there. Now it's
where it belongs

My son and I feel very privilaged to do what we do. At 6:15 am Monday
morning while we were in impounds warming our engine for a return run. I saw
Dave came by with his camera. I stepped back, said nothing, he took a few
pictures, and when he was done left to go back to his warming car or take
additional pictures. Later in the week he came by our pit to ask some
question about our carburated GMC. He had no idea it was mine. He ask about
it concentrating on an article idea he has in mind. He talked to Patrick, as
I was once again measuring engines in impounds. If it's used, we will be the
fortunate ones.

 In 2002 when we were the first to take a vintage engine over 200 mph in a
high-boy roadster and set a record  no one cared accept the people who
wanted to be the fist ones and those who wanted to beat us. You would think
there would have been some coverage somewhere but there wasn't. I'm not out
promoting what I do and would never do that like others who come on to LSR.
Peer recognition and a little respect for doing it is all I need and Joe
Fontana, Patrick, and I recieved that.

Congrats Dave and all who helped you
-
-