Re: [Land-speed] suspension

To: "Wester Potter" <wester6935@comcast.net>, "Adin, David"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] suspension
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:10:45 -0500
I've had an air ride system for many years on the Camaro... there are
advantages and disadvantages...

My original reason was to aid me in putting it on the trailer...also to help
put a jack under the car,  a hidden upside was that I could measure bag
pressure to roughly determine downforce on the front and rear of the
car....but it also has a couple of down sides...   The deal is if you loose
air pressure it can cause a sudden decrease in ride height.

When designing one of these systems you need to determine how stiff you want
the car to be... in our case the bags come in the form of "Shockwaves" from
Air Ride technology's which have the shock and air bag combined in a single
unit.... and thier length is set from the factory.... position in the car
determines the amount of pressure in the bag at the correct ride height....
I've found that stiffer suspensions in my cars has worked fairly well and to
do that with an air ride system we've been keeping the pressure around
80-100 psi.  that doesn't leave a lot of room to actually raise the car from
a lowered or race position...

Real world travel is around 4" at the maximum psi of around 150psi....

Shock valve settings are also relatively stiff in these units... so they
dampen fairly well...

The last thing to remember is that toe, and camber settings change on an A
frame front end based on right height at the time....  so we always string
the car prior to racing after extended trailering.

Keith