Re: [Land-speed] Gaskets...

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Gaskets...
From: Jon Bishop <jon.the.wise@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:34:27 -0700
On Aug 20, 2007, at 6:05 PM, drmayf wrote:

> <snipped for brevety>
> Helpful hints?  Thoughts?

Mayf-

Boost leaks, even small and undetected will play hell with your
engine, especially if you're using a mass airflow metering system.
Best thing to do is build a boost leak tester... essentially
something you can hook to the input of your turbo and pressurize your
system. I've seen many made of 3" pvc with a cap, a valve stem and a
guage. once you've got your system under pressure, you do the soapy
water in a spray bottle inspection, and see if you have leaks. It's
the easiest way to make sure there's no leaks, and you can do it with
a bicycle pump while waiting in line.

For heads, if you're running 15-18 psi, the cometic are supposed to
be able to handle that, but I've been told that to run high boost, I
should get "O" rings installed in my head. What this essentially
involves is a machine shop cuts a small groove around the cylinder of
each head and puts a square ring of wire into the groove. When you
torque down the heads you get a solid seal and it stands up to way
more pressure than any head gasket could handle. I personally have
not tried this, I'm still working on the body of my turbo eclipse,
but I've looked into it, and it seems like a pretty solid solution to
boost past 25 psi. Your results may vary.

> many thanks,
> '
> mayf

Always glad to have a bit of knowledge to share.

~Jon