[Land-speed] Some LSR answers

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Some LSR answers
From: "MPittwood@compuserve.com" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:58:53 -0400
List

Putting a number of answers into one e mail.  Yes I know it s***ws the
archive but working long hours means that savings have to be made in
typing.

Wes - You have the advantage of being on the salt in '06.  I have seen
pictures of the tyres both with and without the Goodyear name painted in
white.  I have not seen or read about any sidewall name removal by JCB.
There is  achapter in the David Tremayne penned book and apart from careful
storage and handling there is no mention of sidewall alterations to 'hide'
Goodyear..  However the JCB team did apparently approach a UK based maker
to sort out some new high speed tyres but were not offered support.

Mayf - Jane is well and we do plan to be back in Bonneville, Vegas &
Pahrump (perhaps) in 2008.

Bryan - I have not been subject to the full onslaught of Richard Noble for
so many years I think it was '95! but with the SSC project he needed all
his marketing and selling skills to keep the funding rolling in and some
'over the top claims' could have been made then.  I would suggest there was
not a lot that was unique or particularly superior in engineering terms
with SSC - except how Ron Ayres dealt with the air pressure transients
beneath the car - but as a whole it was a package that got the job done as
safely as possible (rear steer and all!).

I have not had contact with Ron myself for quite a while - just prior to
the JCB effort in '06 I think.  I am sure he would appreciate e mails from
friends made in America during either campaign (SSC & JCB) -  a South
African speed record organiser will be visiting him in October here in the
UK.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England
(Who admires the way Keith Turk  promotes LSR with the Camaro ........ a
20th century car showing so well in many hands in the 21st.