Re: [Land-speed] Tearing up the salt

To: "list LSR" <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "Wester Potter"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tearing up the salt
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:30:15 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Wes,

I don't know where Coddington's motor home  bogged down, but the salt is
very thin in many places. A few years ago, I believe at a WOS Meet, a motor
home got buried near the starting line near the dike.

 I also remember a Diesel Semi-Trailer that came into the pits a few years
ago and got buried. The driver had nothing to do with racing, just curious I
guess. But I am sure he had some explaining to do to his boss.  We had the
pits just off the end of the access road on the mountain side of the
International Course. The crust was very thin in that location.

There are many other places where the salt is thin. I suspect that one of
the big problems with the salt thickness, at least around the access road,
is the building of the freeway and the access road which does not allow the
water to move freely back and forth as it did in the past. I suspect that
there is a salt layer with mud on top and a salt layer on top of that mud.
It would be interesting to take a core sample and see just what is under the
surface salt.

 Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

faint_grain.jpg]

elephant_en.gif]