Re: [Land-speed] Bailout Test>From>Jim McNaul

To: "land-speed-digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Bailout Test>From>Jim McNaul
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:56:16 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Jim,

I tried to reply to your former email about the Burt Monroe Pictures, but it
was bounced back twice. I will reply here and see if it works.

In the Photo Album, accessed from my web page, the pictures of Burt's bike
on display, were taken at a Department Store in In Invercargill NZ, Burt's
hometown.  I suspect the bike is still in NZ. I am not sure who owns it, but
it was said that the movie people tried to get it for the movie, but could
not. They had two replicas made for the movie.

On the subject line...I have likely had more seat time at Bonneville than
anyone else on the network. This is not to brag, but it does qualify me to
make these comments.

I have no objection to bailout procedures. In fact when I look back at how
we used to operate, frankly, it scares me. Anyone could get into a fast car
and there were no restrictions or tests that I am aware of. The bailout
procedure is fairly new and a good thing, especially for new drivers. The
licensing process is also good, but does not give anyone enough experience
to be a good driver. However, it does help to get accustom to the car and
the course. Safety is important. Just discussing this is good because it
puts the subject into our thinking process. Just like taking a "First Aid
Course" makes you a more cautious person. At least for a while.

Personally, I think the most dangerous situations are the new young drivers.
The young have great reactions, but can be too brave. Regardless of all the
talk about driver's training and such, although it can give you an edge,
there is no substitute for seat time. Driving at Bonneville is unlike
anything you will find on asphalt.  Sometimes, great reactions will get you
into trouble. It seems to me that, on the salt, you should  "herd" a car
rather than drive it.

Unlike other venues, there is lots of room, which allows for measured
corrections, as opposed to following a tight line. When lifting the throttle
 care should be taken not to lift completely. This is much like applying the
brakes to the rear wheel and can create a problem. This is a natural
reaction to an uncomfortable condition. I have had this happen to me on icy
highways twice. Both times, after I recovered my composure,  I applied a
little power and was able to drive out of the problem.

The quote, "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes
from bad judgment" is applicable here. Unfortunately, some times you don't
chance to learn from your mistakes. So listening to others can help. I
learned to drive on muddy roads, snow and ice. In my judgement, this
prepares you for the conditions at the salt as well as anything can.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

faint_grain.jpg]

elephant_en.gif]