Re: [Land-speed] Speedweek tips and thoughts...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "'Keith Turk'" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Speedweek tips and thoughts...
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:40:01 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Neil,

I think that I have come to a conclusion on what my problems were. I spent
about an hour on the phone with Kinsler's tech, Brad. I understand  better
how the Vapor Canister Valve Controls  work. It doesn't seem likely that the
Vapor System was the problem with performance, although I did get lower
pressure readings at the barrel valve than at the pump. I had not measured
the pressure there before, so have nothing to compare it with. It still
doesn't seem to me that 15-20 psi should be lost through the filter and
lines, though.

When I disassembled the engine,  I found the bolts attaching the timing gear
to the cam were not tight, why I don't know. (the last time it was apart was
after Speedweek 2005)  I generally use Loctite on critical fasteners. Maybe,
I failed to get them tight in the first place. I just don't know!  I run a
Cloyes Gear & Roller Chain Set that is adjustable by a rotating button on
the cam dowel pin. When I removed the fuel pump drive, I found the button in
its most retarded position and broken into several pieces. I dialed checked
the cam and found it to be about 20 degrees retarded. At first, I thought
that this all had taken place when the cam got hit by the broken rod, but
after thinking about it for a while, I believe the cam was retarded all week
 I just didn't have the presences of mind to check cam timing. We did check
for proper TDC when we were replacing the head gasket. It would have been a
simple task to have checked for proper cam timing at the same time.

The truth of the matter will never be known. The engine was on the lean side
(1150-1250 EGTs) on top end all week even with a .018 span of jet choices. I
still got the oil loaded with alcohol.  Things may become more clear when we
see what happens with a fresh motor.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

faint_grain.jpg]

elephant_en.gif]