Re: [Land-speed] fires @ bend in the road

To: "Adin, David" <DavidAdin@mercydurango.org>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] fires @ bend in the road
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:40:17 -0700
David--
I've been hanging out at the "Bend" since 1986 when the original Roads End
Gang (Dr Flame-O Hostetter and Bonneville Bill Bernstrauch) could still camp
at the end of the asphalt.  I missed a few years don't recall any
"guvinment" types complaining about campfires.  There was one story I heard
but didn't witness about a Utah highway patrolman driving 25 miles west on I
80 to investigate a very bright white light he saw on the horizon.  He
arrived at the bend, received a cordial welcome and saw the remains of a
burning VW crankcase as the answer to his white light observation.  That was
it far as I know.
About a mile up the ranch road from the Bend there is a BLM sign and the
usual instructions for recreational use of the lands throughout the Silver
Mountain area.  I checked it out on Monday and don't recall anything other
than the expected rules for campfires same as most other desert areas.
So as far as campfires are concerned I'm pretty sure they are OK if within
the bounds of common sense........Uhhhhh.......OK, maybe large amounts of
magnesium fuel is pushing it a little.  But hey!! This is a 20 plus year
SpeedWeek tradition...........
Ed Weldon