Re: [Land-speed] tire plugs

To: RACE427@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] tire plugs
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:21:44 -0400
On Sep 3, 2007, at 9:36 PM, RACE427@aol.com wrote:

In all of my years in the auto trade I have never, ever trusted a
repaired
tire.   It could be a plug or a patch, the tire is never the same.
Oh, they
will hold air but I never feel comfortable with that tire again.  You
will find
that they do lose air over a period of time.  How lucky do you feel
taking a
cross country trip with a repaired tire?   To go 200 mph plus !!   No
way !!!

      Just a thought !!

Once upon a time I bought new tires for my Gold Wing.  A day or two
-- just one or two days! - later I managed to get a nail through the
rear tire.  Dang!  So I had the almost-virgin tire plugged rather
than trashing a brand-new $XXX tire.

A year later, after riding the bike sometimes solo, sometimes with a
passenger, at least 8,000 miles across country and up and back to
Fairbanks, Alaska, without having to add air (other than to
compensate for what escaped when I'd check air pressure) I replaced
the tire with a new one.

Plugs in tires:  Your results may vary.  I don't recommend plugging
tires to others -- but this (and other) experience has shown me that
plugs can be safely used.  I wouldn't have a tire plugged under ALL
circumstances -- but I won't shy away from the process without good
reason.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan