Re: [Land-speed] tire plugs What about Fix a Flat ?

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>, Jon Wennerberg
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] tire plugs What about Fix a Flat ?
From: Dale Krumheuer <dmirror3@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:24:02 -0700 (PDT)
I know that we have all used Fix a flat before, the aerosol foam tire sealer.
Admittedly, I've used it to fix a slow leak and promptly forgot about having
the tire serviced. Not that I would use fix a flat for a serious tire problem
but what about that irritating slow leaking tire?

Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net> wrote: A friend and one of our pit crew
was a Traffic Collision Reconstructionist
for the San Jose PD. He said the first thing he looked for when a tire had
failed (he only worked fatal collisions)was a plug. They were usually the
cause.

A family member by marriage was a tire dealer in Southern Cal. He scared me
away from them in the late '60's. The, then new design, bias belted tires
were "destroyed" by plugs, he said. He went into a real rant.

I've had tubeless tires patched years ago. Steel belts seem to have
eliminated flat tires for me. I have to pull crap (including a 3"X <"
lag bolt)
from the Bridgestones on my '71 F250 - haul it to the dump express, but
it never
looses air. (wish my savings account worked that well).

Bryan

      I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the
  Intolerant, and kindness from the Unkind; yet strangely, I am
  ungrateful to these teachers."
  -Kahlil Gibran