Re: [Land-speed] Content/LSR/Interests

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>, <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Content/LSR/Interests
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:48:36 -0700
--===============0274604595==

OK..

Was this a thread about a "Land Speed Racer" or wasn't it.  What's a land
speed racer?  Somebody please tell me so I can be properly guided before I
disturb other land speed racers in the future.

Here's a man putting a serious effort into prepping a car to go 800 mph.
(not 200, 300, 400 or??)

He's already made an official application to use a dry lake in the USA for
his timed runs.

He goes missing on a potentially life threatening trip to further plan for
his test runs.

Oh, but wait a minute..this guy has money and fame.  Arguably the money
bought a big piece of the opportunity to gain that fame.  A lot of us are
just a bit jealous and a few actually are inclined to scorn his
accomplishments.  His car won't be racing where "we" race because it doesn't
fit in with the way "we" operate.  (And I personally have no argument with
that).  Is he really a landspeed racer and does his story fit in a forum for
land speed racers and is it any of their concern?

An interested party, not necessarily a landspeed racer because he has not
yet driven his own car in a timed event, (Ed Weldon) watches the developing
story and thinks all the searchers are missing something and looking in the
wrong place.  Wondering if other knowledgeable folks of similar interests
agree and possibly have contacts through which to contribute these thoughts
he goes on the landspeed digest forum to drum up interest and exchange
ideas.  Was this the right thing to do?  Was the rapid fire exchange of
emails an impolite intrusion into the activities of others on the list who
were not interested in getting involved in the remote possibility of saving
a life with vital information?  Is Weldon overdoing the hubris thing?

If there was an earthquake in Pahrump and a lot of workshops were wrecked,
if Pork Pie got lost at LAX, if Bonneville Bill got lost in the Nebraska
Sand Hills, if Dave Dahlgren disappeared in the Everglades or Ed Weldon
drove off the end of a dirt road trying to find his way to the Salt Flats
would any of that be about Land Speed racing?  Someone tell me, please..

rant finished...Ed Weldon
(thanks, Mayf, for the lead in)