Re: [Land-speed] Street Rod VIN (but on the fringe of being

To: <RACE427@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Street Rod VIN (but on the fringe of being
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:43:18 -0700
This is a swamp.  All too often state Motor Vehicle Department beaurocrats
make up their own rules as they go along.  Police departments and even
courts can be expected to even be less predictable in this area.  Early
(1930's) Fords usually had the frame serial number hidden to where it
couldn't be seen until after major disassembly.  Fortunately Ford was smart
enough to mark the same serial number on the transmission bell housing
visible with floorboard removal.  Unfortunately the folks at Ford didn't
anticipate the common practice of transmission replacement as a complete
assembly.  Just one example of how murky the waters are.
So your car gets stolen or impounded. The license plates get separated from
the car.  Are you ready to prove it's yours?  Will the police or a court
believe you?  I sure wouldn't own a collector grade car or street rod
without thinking that one through and doing what was needed before the
tradgedy.  Ask if your insurance will cover that situation also.   Your car
is gone.  Police find it but won't return it for whatever reason they come
up with.  Will your insurance adjuster say they won't pay off because the
car is still there even though you don't have legal possession?
How about your race car?  The moment its tires touch a public road (which
includes the shoulder of the road for all practical purposes)it's fair game.
Are you prepared?  (OK, this is the "LSR" part)
C'mon guys.........shoot holes in my assumptions!  We'll all be better
informed by the discussion.
Ed Weldon