Re: [Land-speed] NON-LSR Maxton/Laurinburg 1944

To: "'Doug Anderson'" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>, <bwana343@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] NON-LSR Maxton/Laurinburg 1944
From: <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:11:15 -0700
Bob;

There were two main types of gliders, the WACO and the Horsa. If I remember
right the smaller WACO only carried troops. In the age before helicopters
there wasn't much of a choice as to how men & equipment were delivered to
the battlefield-- land it or drop it. These were true gliders as opposed to
sailplanes; sailplanes are designed to gain altitude when possible but those
WW II gliders sure couldn't do that!

My dad had glider wings but although he was qualified he never had to use
that training-- fortunately.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ