Re: [Land-speed] Missing Rpm...

To: Flowbench@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Missing Rpm...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:31:28 -0700
Flowbench@aol.com wrote:

> What is it you have that makes you say it "should" run to 6000 rpm?
> Give us an idea what you have in the engine, cam spec lifter type, etc.
>
> Speed is held to the max power your making, in your car 180 might be
> 525 to 575 hp. If thats all you got thats all the rpm you can pull
> with your cars aero.

> See what's new at AOL.com
> <http://www.aol.com?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001170> and Make AOL Your
> Homepage <http://www.aol.com/mksplash.adp?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001169>.

FlowBench (you got a name?), Doug...

Ok, my motor is a DSS racing short block. Has 4.030 turbo forged
pistons, 8.5 to 1 comp, perfect seal rings, 3.00 stroke. AFR 205 cc
heads (314 cfm intake and 268 or so ex), 1.6 inch dia inconel ex valves,
2.08 SS intake valves, beehive valve springs, procomp roller rockers,
roller hyd lifters, Ford F303 cam, 0.512 intake/ex lift at valve,
torker 2 single plane manifold with efi bungs, 95mm throttle body, twin
T3 turbos, with external waste gates, 60 #/hr injectors, 90 mm Mass air
flow meter, Mian girdle and windage tray. Ford EEC computer system with
tuner plug in. Shorty headers leading to turbos. MSD 6A spark box. A8C
fuel. Car weighs 2500 pounds. Drag coefficient is around 0.38. Frontal
area is about 14 sq ft. Tires are Bonneville LSR at 28.5 inches tall.
Rear gear is 2.50. Trans is AOD.  There is no sign of valve sloat, or
rev limiting like killing spark or fuel randomly. Runs like a banshee
righ up to where it wont go higher.

Now, folks, I have several sets of engine simulation software, several
sets of car dynamics software and it all says this should be good to go.
What I asked for was things that might be looked at for in an effort to
find the missing ropms. I think there is a funky scalar in the tuner
program that is preventing it from going any faster. Why? well, last
AUgust when I broke it, it was making lots more hp than it is making
now, and the speed was the same. In August I made 18 psig manifold
pressure. Right now I am running about 10 and the speed is the same. If
it turns out that I need a lower rear gear, I have a 2.74 or something
like that. I also have 3.25 and 3.89 sets. I don't think this is the
problem however.

Could there be someting in the AOD tranny itself that prevents it goping
more? I don't think so, but auto tranny are magic anyway. So something
coul dbe wrong I guess. How about torque converter? Anyway that could
limit the rpm? I do not use overdrive so the lockup is not on.

mayf