[Land-speed] Exhaust Sucker

To: "'land-speed submit'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Exhaust Sucker
From: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:49:51 -0800
If you are bored with this use your little finger and delete!

Ray continued . . .

Ray there is another phenomenon to consider. I understand the principal but
I don't know the physics behind it.  Good old Bernoulli had another unknown,
commonly misunderstood, principal.  I don't know what it is called but I can
describe the effect for you so you can apply it to your thoughts about your
exhaust sucker (ES).

Bernoulli's principal is an inverse relationship between pressure and flow.
As flow goes up, pressure goes down and vice versa. But he also had some
thoughts on turbulence. Turbulence will actually REDUCE flow. Use the
example of 1,000 psi trying to be pushed through a .020'' orifice. Now
compare that to the same 1,000 psi flowing through a 2'' diameter pipe.  The
difference in flow will NOT be a liner relationship of the area differences.
There is a 100x difference in area but the flow difference will be LESS than
that. The cause is because a lot of flow energy is being converted to heat
energy due to turbulence. Turbulence slows or stops flow. Both of the
restrictions mentioned will heat up after a while. But the 0.20 will become
much hotter than the bigger one. That energy conversion of flow to heat
reduces the flow of the smaller orifice non-linearly.

The reason I bring up this example is for your exhaust-sucker-turbo. The
exhaust port has a certain finite area. It will flow only so much until it
becomes terribly inefficient due to turbulence. Pulling on the port with
your ES is probably at a point where the HP consumed by your ES will not
yield an equal flow improvement. That consumed HP may be used more
beneficially in other areas. The same thing can be said for compressing the
intake charge. But you get the idea . . . and just one more thing to think
about. Maybe the engineers on here will have a different slant which I'm
sure is interesting.  -Elon