Re: [Land-speed] Sealing two piece wheels

To: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>, "land Speed List"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Sealing two piece wheels
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:07:40 -0500
Jim
If the wheels have an "O" ring groove, a rubber O ring will do the job
nicely, helped with a little vacuum grease or at worse RTV.  If the surfaces
are unblemished no crutch is needed.  The real deal for rubber gasketing is
making the groove to design spec, and squeezing the rubber 15 to 20 %.  My
little 500X5 Garlits tire 2 piece wheels are alum with 0 ring grooves, and
only 2 of them currently leak  :-D
That's kind of why I added the bit about crutches.
If the wheels have grooves, I can help with 0 ring selection, but if you can
get your hands on an O ring handbook, the groove vs. O ring dimensions are
clearly defined for face sealing that we are dealing with here.
If you need help feel free to ask.  I'm not always quick to respond, but I
will and I do have a Parker handbook.
I"ll be more than happy to help.
If wheels are large, sealing may be a little tougher, but all the same
principles apply. (if you have a groove)
There is a major problem using rtv in any joint that has a chance of parts
moving relative to each other.  The shear strength is quite low, and
movement as little as .004" will cause adhesive delamination and leaks.

Rick