Re: [Land-speed] Fire alarm lite

To: "land speed list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Fire alarm lite
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:48:55 -0800
Hmm, aren't the flames just invisible to our eyes?  Why couldn't a sensor
respond to IR frequencies?  Yeah, it would take careful aiming to avoid
being triggered by a hot exhaust or something, maybe with a time-averaged
signal involved (sorta like security light sensors).   And can one assure
that smoke in an engine compartment would pass through a smoke detector?  On
a see-dan, I'd think air currents could be going all over the place at 200
mph--I suppose a streamliner with a fully buttoned-up compartment wouldn't
present that problem.
Benn