Re: [Land-speed] Rooms

To: <Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net>, "land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Rooms
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:13:13 -0500
OK Bunkie oops I mean Bobby.

You keep trying.  The big three will open up rooms later, as they just
released 600 out of over 2000.
Keep calling....every day if necessary.....

NOW
As to bangers shaking themselves apart.
The Offy that your motor guy is referring to is the old 255 cu in banger
that had terrible secondary order shaking forces that are primarily
generated by reciprocating weight.  Big bore, long stroke, relatively heavy
pistons, revving to 8 or 7 k RPM etc etc...
Your little 2.3 engine has the same tendency, but to a much lesser degree.
Even with heavier pistons for turbo application, the smaller bore helps.
Don't worry.  The Esslingers have run 3 litre Pinto based motors over 10,000
rpm with good reliability and durability.  Granted, after each race
everything needs to be checked, especially with solid motor mounts, but it
is not disastrous.  Worry about other things.
and tell your motor guy that I'll take a 180 Offy any day of the week....
(without paying that is  :=D   )

However, mounting anything to the cylinder head other than the block, can
cause head gasket issues.  (Micro movement due to loads from the mounted
part.)  For a while I had a little to do with a new design intent head
gasket for the 3.8 L pushrod engine mounted in front wheel drive Lincoln.
this was early 90's.  The motor mount was mounted to the head and caused all
kinds of problems, particularly that the gasket was a graphoil material
which promotes movement in all directions.
(That was a case of the chassis engineer farkeling the engine guys.)
The partial fix ultimately was a multi layer steel head gasket that
effectively made a metal to metal contact with little relative movement.  I
don't know if it went into production because I caused myself to be
reassigned to a much brighter assignment.  (that one was doomed, and anyone
that worked on it was headed right into the depths of corporate hell.))  It
pissed off my manager but what the heck.

So, I wouldn't mount the charge cooler to the head.

Good luck

Rick