Re: [Land-speed] Free trans to good home

To: "LandSpeed List" <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Free trans to good home
From: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:55:33 -0500
Doug

 I looked in Van Valkenburgh's book . What Chevy made for Chaparral were
custom 1 , 2 and 3 speed spur gear transmissions with custom torque converters
. They won a lot of races with the single speed before somebody noticed Hall
never took his hands off the steering wheel .

John Burk wrote:

Chevy R&D / Jim Hall tried that combination in their Chaparral CanAm car
with a torque converter and the Hewland transaxle .

John, I believe that was a modified Powerglide. I saw the unit. The same guy
built a 5 speed in a Ford top loader that ran in some road races when you were
only supposed to have a 4 speed.   ( nascar)   LOL   was not cheating because
they never found it.

Doug Odom in big ditch

Still cleaning up around here. I have a  1953 automatic out of a
Chrysler 331 hemi car. Its the one that is a cast iron 3 speed with a
converter. I forgot what they called it. Has the safety clutch pedal so
you could shift it or fluid drive it.   Its heavy and going to the scrap
place if no one wants it.     Doug Odom in big ditch