Re: [Land-speed] Travel Sensors?

To: "'DougOdom'" <dlodom@charter.net>, "'LandSpeed List'"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Travel Sensors?
From: <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:09:29 -0700
Doug;

I've found linear position sensors on eBay from time to time. A nice sensor
is the LVDT- type (linear variable differential transformer). It is excited
by an AC source and its magnetic core is used to read the position. Most
require an external electronics circuit to work but now and then you can
find one with built- in electronics.

A linear potentiometer is a lower cost option that is well- suited to
measuring longer travels.

A "cheap & dirty" solution is to use a conventional potentiometer-- place a
pulley on its shaft and use 1/16" aircraft cable (or even a piece of string)
to rotate the shaft as the cable is pulled up & down. These wear out
eventually (LVDTs don't) and be sure to use a "linear taper" pot.

Well, since your ticket is not refundable I guess you'll just have to go to
OZ for a vacation; it's a great country!

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ